Vandalia, Montana is a small unincorporated community in Valley County, Montana. One explanation of the name Vandalia is that it represented the early vandals of the area. But, it was more likely named after Vandalia, Illiniois. Vandalia was established in 1904 with a post office and a store. Situated on a siding of the Great Northern Railway’s main line, it later served a dispersed ranching community. Vandalia once had a plant that manufactured bricks that went on to be used in public buildings across Montana. The post office closed in 2010. Vandalia is located along the Milk River between Glasgow and Saco.
Vandalia also shares its namesake with a local dam on the Milk River that diverts water for the Glasgow Irrigation District.
Ghost Town and History of MT Facebook Page