Vipond is located in the northern Pioneer Mountains at over 8000 ft in elevation. It got its start when John Vipond discovered the Mewonitoc Lode in 1868, the following year his brother staked another claim which would become the Gray Jockey Mine. Other prospectors followed but due to the lack of transportation, high elevation and rugged terrain production of the mines would be slow. Five years later another brother began building a road to the town of Dewey so the ore could be transported.
Numerous other mines popped up (Lone Pine, the Queen of the Hills, and Faithful) and the camp around these mines was called Vipond Park for the three brothers that discovered the first lodes. Three mills were eventually built in Dewey to process the ores. Silver, copper and gold were all found in the area with silver producing the most. In 1900 the Queen of the Hills mine was sold for $75,000. The new owners hired ~50 men and began to develop the mine, building a 10 stamp mill. Two years later the mine was sold again but never produced what the owners hoped for.
The Vipond Park/Quartz Hill mining district covers the area west of the ghost town of Glendale. It is one mile northwest of Dewey. A few derelict houses, parts of foundations and hearths, and the remnants of mine shafts are all that remain of the once thriving mining settlements around Vipond Park. Vipond Park itself – a large grassy meadow – is well known for its displays of spring wildflowers.